Saudi crown prince calls Trump, offers condolences over base shooting
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called US President Donald Trump to express his condolences and offer cooperation for an investigation into the shooting at a naval base in Florida, the state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Monday.
The crown prince expressed support for the families of the victims.
He also “reaffirmed the kingdom’s keenness on absolute cooperation between concerned Saudi bodies and US authorities” by providing them with information that would help the investigation.
The phone call comes as the FBI said that it is treating Friday’s naval base shooting in which a Saudi airman killed three people as an act of terrorism.
The shooter was 21-year-old Mohammed Alshamrani, a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force, who was undergoing training at the base, FBI Special Agent Rachel Rojas said on Sunday.
The FBI is questioning Saudi students who were training at the base as they look into Alshamarani’s motivation and whether he was acting alone.
The incident underscored Washington’s sometimes rocky relationship with Saudi Arabia, which is a key US ally in the Middle East.
Trump has maintained tight relations with Riyadh, highlighting massive purchases of US weapons, despite international criticism of the kingdom’s war in Yemen and the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year.
©2019 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)
Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.