Pentagon again raises injury numbers from January Iranian strike
Washington (dpa) – The US military on Monday once more raised the number of service members it said were injured in an Iranian missile attack on two bases in Iraq in January, with 109 now being diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury.
Of these, 76 returned to duty, the US Defense Department said in a statement released on Monday.
Most of the injured were treated in Iraq, but several were transported to Germany for further evaluation and treatment, the Pentagon said, adding that some were also transported to the United States.
The number of injured service members has been creeping up steadily since the January 8 strike. President Donald Trump initially said no service personnel had been injured in the attack.
Tehran said its attack was revenge for the killing of a top Iranian general. Qassem Soleimani, leader of Iran’s elite Quds force, died in a US drone strike near Baghdad’s airport in early January.
©2020 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)
Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.