Dutch admit killing civilians during airstrike targeting ISIS in 2015
The Dutch government said Monday that civilians were also killed in a 2015 airstrike on the Islamic State extremist militia in northern Iraq.
Seventy people were killed by a bomb dropped by a Dutch F-16 fighter in al-Hawija, including an unknown number of Islamic State fighters.
The target of the attack was an Islamic State explosives factory in an industrial area, Defence Minister Ank Bijleveld said in an interview with the newspaper NRC Handelsblad and the television station NOS.
The factory was destroyed, but The Hague had underestimated how many explosives Islamic State had stored there.
The explosion caused by the attack had been greater than expected, and many civilians were killed as a result.
At that time, the Netherlands participated in international airstrikes on Islamic State, which had seized most of northern Iraq.
Former defence minister Jeanine Hennis told parliament at the time that according to her information, no civilians had died in the attack. According to media reports, she did this against better knowledge.
©2019 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)
Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.